Friday, May 11, 2007

Knee-how China!

GEORGE: It is the end of our China leg already? Heavens!

What will I be taking away with me? Many happy memories, some new friends, two words of Maderin and appalling table manners! (I now tend to shovel food into my mouth which is only a few inches from my bowl with accompanying slurping noises!) Now you've pictured that, I'll tell you what we've been up to for the last 25 days....

After a month of being vegetarian (coz of India for all those who have forgotten) we landed in Beijing and went straight out for some duck pancakes! I couldn't even wait to smile for a photo!











ALEX: After India it was a huge relief to walk along the street (paved street I should add) without having to dodge cows, dead bodies, cows, every mode of transport you can think of, cows................

We met our group and the great China trip began. It was strange at first being in a group on an organised tour, especially having been used to making our own decisions for a while but at the same time it was nice not really having to make any decisions and going where we were told, when we were told. What became apparent very quickly was that having a Chinese speaking guide (Catherine) with us was a huge help and without her ("it´s my English name - when we were at school the teacher showed us a list of names and we chose one each") things would have not only taken a lot longer but to be honest probably just not happened.
The first part of the trip was spent in Beijing seeing all the tourist sites - Tianemen Square, Forbidden City etc.





GEORGE: And then we went to the Great Wall! It really was amazing. Just like you see in all the pictures. A dragons spine that winds it´s way over the hills into the distance. We walked along it for 7 miles and most of the way hardley passed anyone.
















BUT the ´extra primo good sir´ bit.....one of the highlights of my LIFE......has to be the wall at sunrise. A group of us got up at 4:30AM and ventured off to one of the high points of the wall and waited! It slowly came to life and it was magic!

ALEX: Words don´t really do it justice so for once I´ll not say much on this one.



GEORGE: After Beijing we headed to Xi'an, which is a great city. It is smallerer and feels more cosmopolitan. Great city wall, temples, markets....nightclubs, that kinda thing. Then to the Terricota Warriors....which were OK. I´ll stop there as I don´t want to ruin it for people as I hear they are coming to London!











ALEX: The quick and exciting update on Xian is that other than seeing the Warriors, we also went to a very lively nightclub (bit gutted that I seemed to get more male attention than female but what with me looking rather buff at the moment, can´t really blame them...) where we all proceed to drink far too much and on the way home George thought it would be a good idea to climb onto a 9ft statue of a Lion and then fall off it onto her wrist.

GEORGE: It still hurts actually. Think I must have torn a ligament. Anyway, you´ll be pleased to know the whole ordeal has made me grow up some what! I am now a mature responsible drinker.

Another long train journey took us to Shanghai. We only had 1.5 days there so really just wandered along the Bund (by the river - our South Bank!) and took in the views at night. Everything lights up and flashes. I preferred it here to Beijing.



























Then yet another overnight train journey to Guilin and on to Yangshou were we did a great cycle ride through the countryside, in amongst the camel hump hills - we came across a primary school where Alex proceeded to work the kids up into a frenzie before we said our goodbyes - and a fab cooking class - PS. I now appreciate that all Asians use bloody rice steamers!
























ALEX: Max showing Geoge his chopper. You wouldn´t think that we´re technically old enough to be his parents would you!

GEORGE: Speak for yourself...for the record, I´m NOT old enough!
Now let´s talk about Longji! 'ello Longji'. This place is one of my highlights of ther trip!!! We trekked through the rice terreces of Longji. We had peace and quiet, butterflies to accompany us and spectacular 360 views.






















ALEX: It was great to get out of the city for a few days and experience rural China - stunning views and some great relaxing strolls through the rice terraces.

GEORGE: In the evening we found oursleves having to give a performance to the locals. But never fear, I with the help of two others, wrote a song 'The 12 days of China' (apart from we had 15 days) which we were all able to take part in in rounds (if you know what I mean). It was very funny, mainly thanks to a crazy old Swedish guy in our group. See if you can stop him in the photo...










Rice wine and dancing was had by all!














ALEX: Final stop Hong Kong. Best bloody cityscape I´ve ever seen! Made even better by the fact that every night at 8pm they lay on a 20 min light show which basically involves most of the buildings on Hong Kong island playing Space Invaders with each other. And we squeezed in an art gallery for George...

































GEORGE: Oh, and did I mention my hand is bigger than Jackie Chan´s?