Friday, February 16, 2007

Lovely Laos

GEORGE: Ello everyone.... next installment if you fancy a wee read...
Soooo....we left gorgeous Chaing Mai and did the slooooooow 2 day boat trip into Laos with a couple we met on the trek (Chris and Jaki). The deeper into Laos you go the better the scenery gets, although your numb bum does stop you from losing yourself in some heroic(A)/romantic(G) daydream.


ALEX: Not forgetting the somewhat comical border crossing from Thailand to Laos (pic left). The Mekong river forms the border between Chiang Kong on the Thai side and Huay Xai on the Laos side in the north of both countries. After filing in a short form to get our visas sorted out, we boarded a tiny boat for all of about 15 seconds (it's about as wide as the Thames) before getting off on the other side and being greeted by a very smiley chap saying "Welcome to Laos!" bish, bash, bosh - simple as that!










Here's the crossing, the far bit of land is Laos
GEORGE: We had a one night stop in Pak Beng - what can I say? A small remote place that rips of tourists (built up my assertiveness here), has no electricity (fair enough.....but they lie and I hadn't showered for 2 days!) and the sights whilst eating dinner are dogs having a threesome everywhere. The bit I did actually enjoy was in the restaurant. The waitress took our order before she and the chef ran across the road to their house to watch TV for 20 minutes! Nuts! Anyway...


The boat trip ended up in Luang Prabang. I loved it here. It is a bustling friendly place where everyone ones smiles, says 'sabaai-dii' (hello) obviously closely followed by 'you buy, you buy'. We spent our days; cycling, walking, visiting temples, waterfalls and going to the night market. (NB. Jim White, I think I found your younger brother here!)

ALEX: Loved Luang Prabang too. With reference to 'The Market', please read 'collection of stalls mainly selling cr*p to gooey eyed tourists'!

GEORGE: Urgent - I need a decent shopping buddy....any volunteers?

ALEX: I did a far more sensible (and productive) thing with Chris (of Jaki and Chris who we met in Chiang Mai) which involved playing pool and drinking Beer Lao for 3 hours!
















GEORGE: After 6 days we travelled south by bus to Vang Veine. Saw more of stunning mountainous Laos and gorgeous children who all run after you with big grins shouting 'Sabaai-diiiiiiiiiiiiiiii' - I wish I could bring them all home for 'show and tell'.



Vang Viene = student heaven! (Deansy why have you popped into my head?) The tubing was amazing, the 'happy' shakes went down well as did a few episodes of the Simpsons (we haven't watched TV for ages.)


I know the photo far right below is dark, but if you look closely you'll see little Alex. It was a massive cave, quite intimidating - the guys said you couldn't get lost!!! We did....only for about 2 minutes, but even that with a wee torch was enough to make me nervous.
















From here nipped down to Vientiene where I proceeded to become extremely ill and didn't leave my room for three days, so I didn't see much there apart from my ribs!!!!!!











ALEX: Have reassured George that she timed being ill very well and didn't miss much. Considering Luang Prabang was once the capital, I have no idea why they decided to hand the task over to Vientiane. Needless to say it was a very romantic Valentines, with George spending the day in bed/the bathroom, with me running out every now and then for more loo roll - ah, romance!

GEORGE: Thanks for that - I guess we'll end on that note! X
PS. As you all know, I'm a pretty good actress - can you guess the film and scene I am re-enacting below?























No comments: